Happy New Year and of course, Happy Chinese New Year 2019!
The Chinese New Year 2019 is fast approaching. The public holiday in China for Chinese New Year (CNY) is from 4 February to 10 February 2019 (week 6).
The official date for celebration is 5 February 2019; however many factories close earlier so it’s best to confirm with your individual suppliers. In order to avoid any delays receiving documentation over this period please ensure that your supplier provides all documentation including any applicable original bills of lading, fumigation certificates and packing declarations before their leave begins.
Our offices in China & Hong Kong will be closed during the holiday as below.
- Hong Kong Offices closed 5 – 7 February, returning 8 February
- China Offices closed 4 – 10 February, returning 11 February
FCL & LCL Space
Due to most factories shutting down from 4th Feb to 10th Feb and beyond, the factories/exporter will try and accommodate as many shipments as possible before the holiday. Space is therefore expected to be very tight from mid-January. We suggest making bookings and confirming them at least 14 days in advance to avoid delays. As we have seen in previous years congestion at the ports and the capacity for shipping lines to accept too many bookings per vessel can cause rolled containers. It is wise to have an additional week for your ETA in case of shipment rolling.
China Customs generally arrange skeleton staff on duty or half day during CNY at most bigger seaports. There will be reduced efficiency because of fewer working staff and hours. Moreover, customs brokers, trucking companies and LCL warehouse operations stop working. Therefore, we would suggest the following points:
All shipments must be handled/completed and customs cleared before CNY
For PRD ports, the customs office will be closed during CNY, clearance must be arranged by February 5. For emergency or special cases during the holiday, advance notice (including full and correct customs clearance documents must be provided) to determine feasibility.
Most of the truckers will stop providing service one week before the CNY. Like the ports, the trucking companies will be at capacity 2 weeks or more before CNY. Booking at least 10-14 days (FCL) & 7-10 days (LCL) in advance is required. Increased costs for trucking are expected.
If you have any queries regarding this or any other freight topic, please contact our Client Services team on 1300 651 888.
CHINESE NEW YEAR 2019 – FUN FACTS:
- 2019 is the Year of the Earth Pig
- According to the Chinese astrology, 2019 is a great year to make money, and a good year to invest! 2019 is going to be full of joy, a year of friendship and love for all the zodiac signs; an auspicious year because the Pig attracts success in all the spheres of life.
- Lucky numbers: 4, 6, 8
- Those born under auspices of the dog have qualities such as loyalty, diligence, generosity, chivalry, optimism, and honesty.
- They make great friends but can be too trusting and naïve at times
- They can also be reckless and a handful to handle
- Famous people born in the Year of the Pig include: Humphrey Bogart – actor, Ronald Reagan – former President of the United States, Arnold Schwarzenegger – actor and former Governor of California, Thomas Jefferson – former president of the United States, Elton John – singer, Ewan McGregor – actor and David Letterman – talk show host
- Years of the Pig include: 1935 – 1947 – 1959 – 1971 – 1983 – 1995 – 2007 – 2019