The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources has finalised its seasonal Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) measures for the 2019-20 BMSB risk season.
In response to the rapid expansion of BMSB
throughout Europe and North America, the department has strengthened the
seasonal measures to manage risk of BMSB arriving in Australia for the 2019/20
BMSB risk season.
The department is also working closely with the New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries on the 2019-20 measures to ensure both Australia and New Zealand’s BMSB seasonal measures are consistent across counties where possible.
These final measures are now published by the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources on their BMSB webpage.
For the 2019-20 BMSB risk season, measures
- to certain goods* manufactured in,
- or shipped from target risk countries,
- and/or vessels that berth at, load or transship from target risk countries,
- from 1 September 2019 and that arrive in Australian territory by 31 May 2020 (inclusive).
* a list of target high risk and target risk goods can be found here.
- Increased number of countries affected
- All roll-on roll-off (ro-ro) vessels will be subject to heightened vessel surveillance
- No change to target high-risk or target risk commodities
- No change to required treatment measures
- Airfreight remains unaffected
FCLs (Full Container Loads) and FCX (Buyer’s Consolidation Containers) carrying Target High Risk cargo will also be subject to mandatory treatment, which can be performed off-shore as well as on-shore. However, FCL / FCX containers treated onshore will be treated at the container level and deconsolidation or removal of goods (for example, exempt goods) will not be permitted. The following table outlines the risk groups and treatment intervention required.
As with previous Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) risk seasons, you must comply with these measures. Throughout the season the department will continue to review these measures based on detections of BMSB and the risk pathways and make any necessary adjustments.
At Magellan, we have your back when it comes to all customs and international freight matters. Get in touch with me if you have any questions about these new measures for BMSB on 03 8318 9600 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org